Burn Permit -
State Contractors Licensing Board - 800-544-7693 or
Business and Permitting
The Codes Departments of Rutherford County regulate the use of property through the enforcement of the Zoning Laws and Building Standards. It also causes the enforcement of other laws and resolutions through the permitting process. The receipt of a business license does not automatically approve your location for a business activity.
- If you are opening a business or are changing the type of business that previously occupied the property you are considering, then USE AND OCCUPANCY PERMITS will be required prior to opening the business. Any business that plans to build or make renovations is required to have BUILDING PERMITS prior to construction and occupancy.
- Any new signs or alterations to existing signs displayed on the exterior of the building or on site, whether permanent or temporary, require SIGN PERMITS.
- HOME BASED BUSINESSES AND CHILD CARE are required to have Use and Occupancy Permits.
- FAILURE TO OBTAIN PROPER PERMITS prior to opening a business could result in fines or even the relocation of a business if Code Standards cannot be met at the current location.
Permits or information can be obtained by calling:
(615) 898-7730 – Rutherford County Zoning Questions; Building Codes - 898-7734
(615) 893-6441 – Murfreesboro Zoning Questions; Building Codes - 893-3750
(615) 793-6295 – LaVergne Zoning or Building Codes Questions
(615) 355-5704 – Smyrna Zoning or Building Codes Questions
(615) 274-6992 – Eagleville Zoning Questions
RUTHERFORD COUNTY CODES DEPARTMENT
BUILDING CODES AND ZONING ENFORCEMENT DIVISION
RUTHERFORD COUNTY OFFICE BUILDING
ONE PUBLIC SQUARE, ROOM 101
MURFREESBORO, TN 37130
HOURS 8:00 A.M. TO 4:30 P.M.