1720 South Church Street
Murfreesboro TN 37130
Phone: (615) 898-7847
Fax: (615) 898-7837
7 Days a Week
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the differences between prisons, jails and work centers?
• Prisons are operated by state governments and the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) and are designed to hold individuals convicted of crimes.
• Jails are most often designed to hold individuals awaiting trial or serving short sentences.
• Work Centers are facilities in which limited sentences are served at manual labor while addressing educational, substance abuse, and vocational needs under correctional management. This type of incarceration allows inmates to contribute to the community during their confinement.
- How do I schedule a visit?
You must first be approved for visitation. Once approved for visitation, you must call (615) 898-7847 to set up an appointment 24 hours before you wish to visit between the hours of 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.
- How do I get approved for visitation?
You must pick up a visitation application from the lobby or print off the version provided on our website, fill it out, and turn it in to the receptionist. The receptionist will make a copy of your identification (you must have a valid state-issued form of identification). Your application will be sent out for a background check and the results will be returned to CWC staff within 2-3 days.You can call back between the hours of 8:15 am and 3:45 pm to check the status of your application.
- How many visits can I have per week?
You are allowed two, 1-hour visit per 7-day period.
- What are your visitation hours?
Visitation hours are 7 days a week, from 8:15 am to 3:45 pm.
- How can I put money on an inmate's commissary account?
You have 3 options for this, we have a Kiosk in our lobby that you can put money into. The Kiosk allows you to input the inmate's name and then load cash into the machine. The money will go into the inmate's account usually on the next Monday. There is a percentage charge to use this machine. Add 3% to the dollar amount. Your other option is to mail a money order to the CWC. Be sure to have the inmate's name and social security number on the money order. This will immediately go into the inmates account. These have to be mailed separate from letters and addressed to:
1720 S Church St.
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
- Are tours available at the Rutherford County Correctional Work Center?
Tours are available to select groups at designated times. To inquire about scheduling a tour, please contact the Training Coordinator at 898-6888.
- What is the Community Service Crew Program?
Community Service Crew Programs consist of supervised Community Service work details. Inmates at the Rutherford County Correctional Work Center provide many hours of community services to our surrounding Towns, Cities, State and Government Municipalities that is known as our Community Service Work Crew.
- How much money does the county save by using inmate labor through the Community Service Work Crew?
On average, the total monthly savings for the city/ county averages around $150,000 by utilizing this inmate labor for community work.
- How does an inmate qualify to participate in Community Service Work programs?
Inmates must qualify by classification and must be screened and accepted by facility management committees to be eligible to participate on Community Service work details. If an inmate fails to abide by the rules and regulations, the inmate may be terminated from Community Release programs at the discretion of facility officials.
- How does an inmate qualify to participate in educational, rehabilitation and/or faith based programs?
The Rutherford County Correctional Work Center shall make every effort to provide services and programs for the personal development of inmates consistent with the safety and security of the facility. The Work Center will provide reasonable educational and rehabilitative programs, activities, and services for inmates, under conditions of necessary security and supervision, to enhance their emotional and mental life. All inmates are afforded the opportunity to participate in all programs dependent on their criminogenic risks, needs and behavior.
- What is Good Time?
Good Time is time credited against an inmate’s sentence and is awarded based on good institutional behavior, positive participation in programs, work or to reward other commendable behavior.
- How do I report sexual harassment or abuse to the Correctional Work Center?
Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)
The Rutherford County Correctional Work Center maintains a ZERO TOLERANCE in keeping with Public Law 108-79, the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) of 2003, which will enhance intervention, documentation, reporting, and investigating procedures. The Rutherford County Correctional Work Center has mandated a zero-tolerance towards all forms of sexual abuse and sexual harassment. Such conduct is prohibited and will not be tolerated; to include inmate-on-inmate sexual abuse or harassment and employee-on-inmate sexual abuse or harassment. It is Rutherford County Correctional Work Center's policy to aggressively investigate all allegations, regardless of source, and prosecute those who are involved in incidents of sexual abuse. Criminal investigations will be referred to the Rutherford County Sheriff's Office and/or Murfreesboro Police Department Detective Division. Alleged victims of sexual abuse or harassment will be provided a supportive and protective environment. The credibility of an alleged victim, suspect, or witness is assessed on an individual basis and not determined by the person's status as inmate or staff.
Citizens can make third-party notifications of sexual abuse or sexual harassment, or staff neglect that may have contributed to an incident of sexual abuse in writing to the Superintendent at 1720 S. Church St. Murfreesboro, TN 37130 or call the 24/7 Sexual Assault line at 615-494-9262