Residential Property Questions

Can I conduct a business in the Residential zone?

  • Home-based businesses are categorized as either minor or major, depending on the scope of the business. Minor home-based businesses may be approved by Staff provided the business meets the criteria in the Zoning Resolution. These criteria can be obtained by clicking here. Major home-based businesses must be approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals. Please contact Planning Staff at 615.898.7730 to discuss the specifics of your business.
  • There may also be restrictive covenants in regards to this issue, but be advised that the County cannot consider these covenants in making their decisions, nor can they help to uphold or remove these conditions. This is a civil matter.

How can I check the zoning of my property?

  • You may call the Planning & Engineering Dept. and providing one or all of the following (listed in order of preference):
    • Map and parcel number
    • Physical address of property including both number and street name
    • Property owner's name

How can property be legally divided?

  • Any division of property resulting in a lot of less than 5 acres must be presented in the form of a subdivision plat, prepared by a registered engineer/surveyor, signed by all legal property owners, reviewed and signed by the electric department, water department, environmental department, and finally the Planning Department.
  • Platted subdivisions with 2 or less lots can be reviewed and approved administratively if they meet the minimum requirements for square footage, access to water, 75 feet of road frontage, and adequate soil site.
  • Plats with 3 or more lots, or lots that do not meet the minimum requirements, must be approved by the Planning Commission.
  • Lots of 5 acres or more can be created by deed if there is access to water and a minimum of 50 feet of road frontage (Soil sites will also be required before building on these properties).

How do I get an address for my property?

  • Subdivision lots are assigned an address once the plat is approved. Residents/contractors are notified at the time building permits are pulled.
  • Acreage lots are assigned an address at the time the Certificate of Zoning Compliance is approved.
  • Generally, vacant acreage is not assigned an address until there is an application for a building permit.

How do I determine if my property is in the flood plain?

  • FEMA flood panels are available in the Planning & Engineering office.
  • GIS mapping is also available to assist in showing contours and elevations.
  • Engineers are available to assist with determinations if the maps show your property in the flood plain.

Can I build in the flood plain?

  • There are provisions to build in the Flood Plain if certain elevations are met.
  • The pad elevation must be 1 foot above the determined flood elevation and the finished floor elevation must be an additional 2 feet above that for a total of 3 feet above the determined elevation.
  • Engineers are available to assist in this determination.
  • There is no construction in the Floodway.

Can I remove dirt and rock from my property?

  • This is considered Resource Extraction and must be approved by the Board of Zoning Appeals.
  • You may move dirt and rock around within your property boundaries to fill low spots or create a pond, etc., so long as there is no removal from the property.